Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Breaking Free

I know, I know... two posts in one week... This is what happens when you're trapped in the house with a sick one! I wanted to share something really quick... I'm going to my first photography workshop!

One of my favorite Flickr photographers is holding a "Break Free" seminar... You can see the details here. Ryan & Holly are awesome photographers. I am so excited that I'll get to meet them and work with them! Plus, as a bonus, Greg and Gabe are going with me! They're going to sightsee and play in the hotel pool while I'm busy soaking up as much knowledge as I can!

I have to admit, even though I am SO super excited about it, I'm pretty nervous too. I mean, they are professionals... they'll be critiquing some of MY photos. They do this full time for a living. And, here I am, wanting to start my own part time business... I like to think that I do have a bit of a knack for it, that I'm just lacking in all of the training. I know that I have so much to learn, but you've gotta start somewhere, right? I do like to read, and I do try to do that in my free time, but I am such a better hands on learner. Show me something once, and let me do it, and I've pretty much got it. I hate it when the doubt creeps in though. I already feel myself saying things like "There's going to be a lot better photographers than you there" or "You don't know enough to go to something like this", or, or, or... If I let those statements get in my way, I'll never take the chance to go to something like this. And, without taking that chance, I'll never learn. Everybody's gotta start somewhere. Who knows, maybe the other photographers will stink big time? :) Nah, I'm just kiddin....

When I suggested this to Greg, I didn't think he'd go for it. In fact, I asked him to sit down so I could ask him if I could go on this trip. I knew it was expensive, and I hated to ask for myself, but dang, I really wanted to go! Greg was immediately supportive and wanted me to do it. Then as we talked about it more, we decided he and Gabe should come too! That way, we could make it a little family vacation. I am so very blessed to have a husband who supports me in this endeavor. He wants me to succeed and that is such a great feeling. Sometimes you have to take a step back and look at all that you have - I have a lot to be thankful for.

0 comments: