Thursday, August 6, 2009

For Good

I am very awestruck today. God is good. Let me just say that first of all.

A couple of months ago, I read about an organization called Now I Lay Me Down to Sleep. Its a nonprofit organization that volunteers the services of photographers to parents that have lost a child to stillbirth, or may be losing a child shortly after birth. The photographer donates their time, services, and a DVD of images to the family so they have a keepsake for those precious, tender moments after the baby is born. Local hospitals call the photographers at the request of the parents.

I thought about this for a while and really felt a need to participate in it. But, I was afraid to put myself and my work out there for criticism, since your work needs to be evaluated first (and rightly so). This is such a meaningful moment for the parents, you want to be sure you're able to give them quality images. So, finally, after it was pressing on me for a while, I registered and submitted my website. This was about 2 weeks ago. I then emailed my very closest friends and family and asked them to pray for me... would this be something God could use?

I knew that God would use our experience for good in some way... I just didn't know how. For Good. For Good. That keeps resonating in my head. I think this is it. I don't think I'd have been approved if God wasn't going to use it in some way.

I'm scared. I'm honored. I'm humbled. I'm hopeful that I can do it - emotionally and quality wise. I want to pray before each session that God will use me - for good. That He will bless these parents with something they can hold on to once their child is gone. I wish I had something like that. But, with our daughter it wasn't possible.

So, friends and readers, if you think of it, pray for me that God can use me For Good.

4 comments:

Jennifer said...

I've heard about this organization. I think it is amazing that you are willing to provide the beautiful photographs that you take for these parents and family members. It will be something that they will cherish forever during and after their difficult struggle.

lilmoxey said...

Bri, congratulations on being chosen to do this. What an honor to know that your work will be used to give parents such a wonderful gift.

Stephanie said...

Bri - this is really really amazing! I became familiar with this organization when I was in the hospital on bed rest with the twins. Congrats on being chosen!! Your photos are beautiful - the families will treasure them forever.

Billie Jo Henson said...

Bri- you didnt see that article by chance....God knew you would see it and he knew what you would do when you did. What you are doing is beyond the word meaningful, "The Lord works in mysterious ways" and he is working through you. Bless your heart and I am positive the work you do for those families will be more than treasured.